Saturday, September 3, 2011

Thai Observations #2

As I was walking to class the other day I noticed a large group of students assembled in one of the common areas of the university.  I managed to find an older student who knows English and he explained to me that the students were voting for the new University president.  I must have looked very surprised, because he quickly added that the administration extends voting rights to the students in an effort to promote democracy.

I couldn't help but think how interesting it is that Thailand, a country that has had trouble with democracy at the national level, promotes democracy like this among its lower levels of organization (e.g. Mae Fah Luang University), while the U.S. has a well-functioning democracy but does not encourage similar practices at its lower levels (e.g. Princeton University).

MFU may not be a private university (unlike Princeton)....I'll have to look into this.


No comments:

Post a Comment